Coronavirus (Covid-19) support page
Key Information for Volunteers and Parents
In Gloucestershire, we like others, are doing all we can to support local Districts and Groups during this time, by providing guidance and resources from across the County Team. Check this page regularly, as it is being continuously updated with new information.
Last updated: 28/03/2020 12:05
Layout, MS Teams support & New programme ideas x 2
The Great Indoors – over 100 activities that young people can do with their parents / carers.
Carry on Scouting badge a creative idea developed by the amazing team in the Forest Of Dean. Lots of activities which will help young people earn an occasional badge.
The teams at World Organisation of the Scout Movement (WOSM) and UK Scout Headquarters are in the process of creating Programme ideas to support Scouts at home. Check here; scouts.org.uk and scout.org regularly.
On the right / below you will see other ideas that have been shared by you!
We want more of your ideas, if you have some please email firstname.lastname@example.org
With the suspension of face to face Scouting meetings and activities, we need to find new and creative ways to meet and communicate. There are a number of free tools out there that you can use, that following some experimentation and practice will help you have productive meetings and conversations.
You could try these free tools which you can sign up for an account with:
- Facebook groups
- Google Hangouts – step by step guides
- Microsoft Teams – Step by step guide
- Zoom – learn about it
We as a County Team have been using Google Hangouts for video conference calls and WhatsApp to chat and share short messages.
If running online meetings with young people, please read and use this guidance
- Can I have Executive meetings via Conference Call / Video call? – Yes – the Charity commission states that business may be conducted remotely. More information.
- Can I validate learning with my TA via Video call? – Yes, we will be working with TAs to help them with this, in the coming weeks.
- Can I check identity documents for DBS via Video call? – Yes – see below in “DBS checks”
In these uncertain times it can be really easy to feel distant from those that we form great friendships with throughout Scouting. Being apart from our Scouting family can feel like a bereavement.
With a huge diversity of members across our County, some will stay in touch and connected via Social Media, some reliant on email and there will be some that do not use technology in the same way.
How can you keep in touch with each other to help them feel connected? Please think of those that have less confidence with technology.
Can you give your teams a quick call every so often to check how they are?
Following the advice to suspend all face-to-face meetings, activities and events, it’s important to consider any events you may have scheduled locally, including St George’s Day. Events organised by Hampshire Scouts are currently under review; as soon as decisions have been made, they will be listed here.
The World Organisation of the Scout Movement (WOSM) have announced a special edition of Jamboree on the Internet, to take place April 3-5. Details can be found on their website.
The following National events have been cancelled:
- Day of Celebration at Windsor
- Beaver and Cub Fundays at Gilwell Park and Woodhouse Park
- Gilwell 24
With great sadness, the following Gloucestershire events have been cancelled or postponed:
- Queen’s Scout Award celebration
- County Team Conference
- All badge and challenge weekends
The following events are under review, and an update will be provided when available:
- European Scout Jamboree
The NCVO has published some useful guidance to help Executive Committees consider how they can best support Scouts locally during this time.
Also published this week is guidance for charities from the Charity Commission.
The Scout Association has approved an amendment to the standard constitutions in POR which allows meetings to be held remotely. It also allows decisions to be made electronically. This is valid immediately and will be updated in the next update to POR, in early April. The wording is as follows:
- Electronic voting (such as email) is allowed for decision making of the County/District/Group Executive Committee and its sub-Committees when deemed appropriate by the Chair. In such instances at least 75% of committee members must approve the decision.
- The County/District/Group Executive Committee & its sub-Committees can meet by telephone conference, video conference as well as face to face in order to discharge its responsibilities when agreed by the appropriate Chair.
Under guidance issued by the Disclosure Barring Service, DBS identification checks can now be completed using a Video link.
This means that those completing DBS applications can use one of the tools in the “Meeting with others” tab to chat live and ask to see physical identification.
View the guidance here.
All face to face training between now and the end of July has been cancelled or postponed.
We are working to develop solutions that will allow us to deliver the Core Modules and Young Leader training remotely – Watch this space.
In the meantime:
- Safeguarding training can still be completed via elearning.
- Safety training can also be completed by elearning.
- GDPR Training can be completed by elearning.
With these please send a copy of your completion certificate to your TA or LTM / LTA to update your training records.
Module 1 can be completed on line here.
Module 1 for Executives can be completed here.
Please send the certificate to your TA and arrange to validate your learning through conversation.
There are many groups and sections across the UK that have recognised the need and opportunity to support the more vulnerable members of our community.
- 26th Perthshire Scout group in Scotland have created this online form.
- Alternatively, some groups are using physical resources like this posting card.
If using these resources, please be aware of the potential risks of Young People supporting members of our communities. Please ensure you carry out Risk Assessments and share with your line manager.
The County admin team are operating remotely – if you attempt to contact us via phone, your call may not be answered. Please contact us via email at: email@example.com
For now, Cranham Scout Centre is closed for Scouting & Guiding activities whist we follow government advice.
If you have a bookings or questions please contact the management team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are the related communications that have been received or sent in relation to Scouts and Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Latest update from our County Commissioner